It is traditional for people to make New Years’ Resolutions at the beginning of the year. I also know that many of us have gotten tired of making them, having tried it many times before and failed to make those changes more often than not. That is something we can all relate to.
However, I would like to point out that if we never try to make changes, we will never make them. Let’s face it, if we don’t make any changes in our life, we will always be the way we are now, unless God just miraculously zaps us and causes change. Almost all changes that take place in our life, involve us making a choice, asking God to help us get through it, and then relying on our ability to follow through. In other words, if you want to make changes in your life, you need to put forth some effort and ask God to help you.
Here are a few steps that may help you make a change in your life as we start the New Year.
• Examine your life and identify anything that you need to work on or change.
• Ask God to help you identify anything you need to work on or change.
• Pick a couple of these items and commit to change them.
• Sit down and write a few lines about what the change would look like and what it will take you doing in order to make that change.
o Put this paper somewhere you will see it a couple of times a day.
o Do these things as often as is needed to help you make that change
• Ask God to help you so that you can make those changes.
• Celebrate the times that you do the right thing and don’t let the times you slip get you too down, recognize that setbacks will come, but a setback does not equate failure.
May God bring you help, peace, and joy in the coming year. May His light shine in your life and help others to know Him better because of you!