Every now and then I take a post and send a little advice to the guys. (I know there are a few guys who read RHW and I would guess that if you ladies like what I write for the guys, you might be sending your hubby this post.)
Okay Guys, Here it is:
Be Romantic – Let’s face it guys, most women like romance. They enjoy a touch of romance in their life. It does not have to be every day, but we should do something at least every month. (Hey, that is just 12 times a year, not too much to ask in the way of an investment.) BTW – Valentine’s day, Mother’s day, her Birthday, and your anniversary do not count. You are expected to do something nice on those days. If you need help remembering those days get a good calendar app for your phone, it is worth the investment! I would also recommend you keep track of when you do something romantic for her, that way you will not forget.
Some romantic ideas:
- Flowers – Always a good idea. You don’t have to spend a lot of money; the Grocery Stores sell them for less than $10. Also, if you can find wild flowers along the road, while they don’t last as long, she will still love the fact that you thought enough of her to stop and get them.
- Cards & Notes – Again, something she will love and something you don’t have to spend much on. My wife likes the cards I make on the computer as much or more than the ones that I buy.
- Balloons – If you can do balloon animals great, if you can’t no problem, the dollar store has Mylar balloons with cool messages or graphics on it for a, what else at the dollar store, a dollar.
- Candles – You can transform a room from normal to romantic with a few candles. I once bought 24 votive candles in glass holders for about $8. I put them in the room, light them all, some soft music, and brought Mrs. Rock in, she loved it. I can use them a couple of more times.
Be Thoughtful – This is similar to romantic, but it is a little different in the application of it: Here are some thoughtful ideas:
- Leave Notes on Mirrors: Some different ways –
- Get some anti-fog product (RainX makes one) and put it on the bathroom mirror, but use it to write a simple message like, “I Love You!” Or “You Rock My World!” She will see it every time she showers.
- Write on the mirrors with a Sharpie or a Dry Erase marker. You can write a lot this way, a long message. Do it on the edges so she can still use the center of the mirror for what she needs. The marker will come off with either glass cleaner or alcohol.
- Behind the Mirror: We are repainting right now, I have to take down the mirror and rehang it. Before I rehang it, I am going to write a long note to here in sharpie and the mirror up over it. I am going to take a picture of it, so she knows it is there. I want her to know that I will be for years; maybe not being found for decades, yet that declaration of my love for her will be there. (I will put the text at the end of this post)
- Paint a Note on a Wall: Okay, it is a lot safer doing this when you know that you are going to paint the wall soon anyway. I painted a couple of things on the wall of the hallway. One was a heart and another I wrote out, “I Love Mrs. Rock!” Even if it just for a few days, she sees that every time she goes down that hall and knows I care for her. (I am thinking about painting that back on there even after we paint the hallway, but I know she would worry that it would devalue house.)
- Get Some Vinyl Romantic Sayings: Either by some pre-made saying such as the one in the picture here or better yet, check with custom sign makers in town and have something make that is special to the two of you.
- Make a Book: With the software out there and the templates available to you, you can make wonderful memory books for you wife. They can be full of pictures; you can do text with the pictures, even full pages of text. I have done two or three of these for my wife. I normally use MS Publisher, make the page the way I want it to look with pictures and text and then save the page as a JPEG. I then put it in the photo book. Once I have created the pages, I can do the rest on line and it will ship to your home (or work). The first time I did this, she cried when I gave it to her!
Of course there is the old standby, a romantic dinner out for just the two of you. Hey, there is nothing wrong with this one, just make sure it is not your only trick and make sure that if you are doing this, that you help take care of the details your need to care for at home, like a babysitter for the kids and dinner for the kids.
Guys, take some time, invest a little effort and an few dollars into your marriage and it will pay off big dividends for you. It will make her happy and it will help to bring you closer together. The truth is, it does not matter too much what you do, it matters that you are thoughtful, caring, and loving in what you do. If you don’t like any of the ideas above, or don’t think your wife will like them, that is fine, come up with ones that you think she will like. I know that Mrs. Rock does not want me to spend a lot of money on her, she likes it when I can do things that don’t cost much, I suspect that there are a lot of wives out there like that, it is not the amount you spend, it is your effort.
(What I am writing behind the mirror) Every time you look in this mirror, I want you to remember the person you see is the person I love most in the whole world. I am glad that our lives are intertwined. Know this, that when we are not together I miss you and that I crave everything about you, from your smile, your voice, your eyes, your kiss, your thoughts, and feeling your body next to mine. You are a part of me, just as I am a part of you!